Category: Web Browsers
Just 8 months ago, company has passed 200 million downloads mark. And now, the second most popular web browser in China has already been downloaded more than 300 million times, Maxthon CEO/Founder Jeff Chen said.
Surprisingly, it’s doing quite well in other countries too, as guys over Maxthon blog wrote: “The authoritative market research firm, Net Applications, puts Maxthon use internationally at 1.33 percent, just one twentieth of one percent less than use of the fifth-ranked browser Opera.”
- How To Support Internet Explorer and Still Be Cutting Edge
- IE Quero Toolbar
- Microsoft to patch IE zero-day bug next week
- Sony In Talks With Mozilla?
- Best 5 Firefox Add-ons for Facebook Fans
- 11 Chrome Extensions, For Starters
- Features Chrome For Mac Beta Will Be Missing
- Opera 10.10: 12 million downloads in 7 days
- Difference between Opera Mobile 10 and Opera Mini 5
- Camino 2.0.1 Released!
- WebGL in Firefox on Nokia N900 (video)
Thanks to Nox for links.
If everything goes as expected, browser ballot case might be finally resolved by the end of December or even faster.
Bloomberg reports that during the phone conversation with Opera spokesman, it was said: “Our expectation is that the settlement will include changes sought by Opera and will come out around the 15th,”
What are those changes?
Opera Software suggested that instead of listing top 5 web browsers alphabetically, they should be randomly ordered, every time user sees a ballot screen.
Bloomberg also said that Jesse Verstraete, a Microsoft spokesman in Brussels, declined to comment on this case. So don’t hold your breath yet.
It’s a new month and few market share data. Let’s get it going.
Just like any other month, Internet Explorer market share keeps going down, this time it fell from 64.64% to 63.62% (1.02 point decrease).
With the upcoming Firefox 3.6 release, this browser increased its market share by 0.65 point, from 24.07% to 24.72%.
After previous gain in October, this time Safari‘s market share fell from 4.42% to 4.36% (0.06% decrease). Continue Reading
- IE6 and IE7 vulnerable to latest flaw; IE8 immune
- IE bug leaks private details from 50 million PDF files
- Firefox’s Plan to Kick the Login’s Butt
- Alex Faaborg’s Identity Mockup
- 10 Firefox Extensions Google Chrome Should Have Too
- Opera 10.10 closes “extremely severe” hole
- Almost 40 million people used Opera Mini last month
- Safari on iPhone gets competition from a $1 browser app
- OneWeb demonstrates the power of XMPP inside the browser
- Maxthon 2.5.10 Supports Multi-touch and other Windows 7 features
Thanks to mabdul and Nox for links.
- IE8 bug makes ‘safe’ sites unsafe
- MS discovers flaw in Google plug-in for IE
- Microsoft Windows chief decries standards grandstanding
- Firefox 3.6 locks down component directory – Update
- Security vulnerabilities in add-ons imperil Firefox users
- Google set to promote Chrome extensions
- Opera widgets without Opera…
- WebKit nightlies support HTML5 noreferrer link relation
- Camino 2 adds tab overview, phishing and malware protection
- Update on Camino 2 crashes
Thanks to Nox and mabdul for links.
According to ReadWriteWeb, French Government’s public finance department will switch 130 000 PCs from IBM Lotus Notes and Microsoft Office to Mozilla’s Thunderbird as well as Lightning Calendar.
The following move will help then save money and better manage licenses.
01net said: The decision to go with Mozilla came after the Directorate General of Public Finance (DGPF) merged with the Directorate General of Taxes (DGI) and the Directorate General of Public Accountancy (DGCP). Each has their own email and licenses for Lotus Notes and Microsoft Outlook.
Thanks to Nox for news tip.
This is a guest post by Dwarka Rao from Review Unit, a blog with tech reviews and latest news.
Parents are aware of the ugly side of the Internet, so it is their obvious responsibility and worry to allow their kids to make the best of Internet in order to learn things in the safest environment. You cannot always keep an eye on the activities of your children while they are on Internet. This requirement has evolved in the form of kid browser. Continue Reading