Now here is an interesting one. TaerkEX, a member of DeviantART has created a simple APNG (Animated PNG) animation.
What’s so great about that?
Well, picture contains two frames. Therefore, if your browser does not support APNG, you should only see the very first one.
Like this (.gif format):
Otherwise (.gif format):
With the recent Safari 5 announcement, Apple has also introduced hardware acceleration support for Windows machines.
To find out how it stacks up against Internet Explorer 9 hardware acceleration, Microsoft ran some tests (see video below (requires Silverlight)).
What about results?
In the very first demo, IE9 Preview versions had an average of 50fps while Safari struggled to reach even 10fps. During Flickr Explorer demo, Internet Explorer 9 kept around 20fps while Safari 5 was averaging about 7fps only. Continue Reading
• Microsoft Pushes Hard with Internet Explorer 9
It looks like Microsoft IE team tries to do its best to make you forget about Internet Explorer 6/7 mess.
• Internet Explorer 6 Market Share to Reach 10% in 2010
If we analyze Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 market share trend, the following conclusion can be made.
• Mozilla to Add Weave Sync for the Next Firefox Release
It appears that Mozilla has decided to integrate data synch feature into the upcoming major Firefox release.
If MacGeneration rumors are true, Apple will unveil Safari 5 web browser tomorrow at WWDC 2010.
Some key features of Safari 5 include:
- Improved HTML5 support: Safari supports over a dozen new HTML5 features including Geolocation, full screen for HTML5 video, closed caption for HTML5 video, new sectioning elements (article, aside footer, header, hgroup, nav and section), HTML5, AJAX History, EventSource, WebSocket, HTML 5 draggable attribute, HTML 5 forms validation, and HTML 5 Ruby.
- Hardware Acceleration for Windows: Use the power of the computer’s graphics processor to smoothly display media and effects on PC, as well as Mac.
- Safari Developer Tools: A new Timeline Panel in the Web Inspector shows how Safari interacts with a web site and identifies areas for optimization. New keyboard shortcuts make it aster to switch between panels.
In case you don’t feel like downloading Safari web browser + QuickTime, here are all the demos.
Control media playback and apply a variety of CSS effects to video delivered with HTML5.
Another month, another market report. Let’s begin.
Internet Explorer market share fell down by 0.26 point, from 59.95% to 59.69%.
Firefox still struggles to reach 25% market share, this time it went down from 24.59% to 24.35% (0.24 point decrease).
Not a big surprise here, Chrome managed to increase its market share by another 0.32 point, up from 6.73% to 7.05%. Continue Reading
Now here is a clever one.
As Mozilla Firefox creative lead Aza Raskin describes it, the attack is as elegant as it is simple: A user has multiple tabs open, and surfs to a site that uses special javacript code to silently alter the contents of a tabbed page along with the information displayed on the tab itself, so that when the user switches back to that tab it appears to be the login page for a site the user normally visits.
Even with NoScript plugin installed, users were still vulnerable. Fortunately, May 27th update fixes that.
- Internet Explorer History Monitor
- Install Firefox add-on without restarting, now in nightly builds
- Mozilla Plugin Check for All Browsers
- The Book of Mozilla
- Use Google Chrome to Drag Images into e-mails
- Verizon’s Tablet Bet Is on Google Chrome
- Why the Opera web browser is anti-Flash
- Opera’s Secrets Unlocked: 16 Tips and Tricks
- Apple Safari Browser Hit By Zero-day Vulnerability
- Is Your Browser HTML5 and CSS3 Ready?
- Android Browser Roundup
Thanks to Android, Ichann, Nox and Tiago Sá for links.
- Microsoft publishes its latest Security Intelligence Report, Vol. 8
- IE9 Platform Preview 2: more of the same, but a bit faster
- Firefox: How to Duplicate a Tab
- Mozilla to Detail Next Version of Firefox
- Updated Firefox 3.6.4 beta available for download and testing
- Google Buys BumpTop, A 3D User Interface For Chrome OS & Android?
- Opera Joins Flash Debate: “You Can Cook an Egg” While It’s Running
- How to change action for file types in Opera
- Unpatched drive-by download flaw in Apple Safari browser
- “Silent” update of Opera Mini 5
- FastMail.FM FAQ
Thanks to mabdul and RamaSubbu SK for links.