Author Archive: Vygantas
Vygantas is a former web designer whose projects are used by companies such as AMD, NVIDIA and departed Westood Studios. Being passionate about software, Vygantas began his journalism career back in 2007 when he founded FavBrowser.com. Having said that, he is also an adrenaline junkie who enjoys good books, fitness activities and Forex trading.
Recently I’ve heard that Opera’s Speed Dial is being copied not only by Firefox users, but also by other companies and just thought, why is this function so special? When I was surfing using Opera, I always had this function turned off, as I love clean browsing.
However, yesterday I’ve decided to try it. Guess what? Now it’s one of my favorite features. I don’t have to type, let’s say first letter in the address bar in order to see the site which I want to visit, now I am just click one click away from it. So it saves some time and I love it.
If you haven’t tried Speed Dial yet (or ignored it as I did), just give it a try, you may thank me latter.
Time for one of my favorite topics, it’s a browsers market share.
You can find previous month (May) results here.
OK, Internet Explorer, it actually surprised me, I didn’t exptected its growth this month. Gained from 78.67% to 78.84% (0.17% increase).
In the previous month, Firefox lost some market share, however, this month it’s 0.01% higher. Gained from 14.54% to 14.55% (0.01% increase). Maybe will increase it more in this month, we will see.
As expected, Safari lost more than a small amount of market share, maybe will get better after Safari 3 final release. From 4.82% to 4.49% (0.33% decrease).
Althought Opera lost 0.02% of its market share last month, it doesn’t matter now, they have increased market share from 0.74% to 0.91% (0.17% increase). And as I can see, it is the highest market share ever in this year.
As Safari, Netscape also lost some market share. From 0.83% to 0.78% (0.05% decrease).
Opera Mini got nice amount of attention in the June, so not a big surprise, they have increased market share from 0.16% to 0.21% (0.05% increase).
Here’s a graph of current browsers market share. Thanks to HitsLink.
Bit deelayed but anyways. Firefox 3 Alpha 6 was released with the following new features and updates:
- Updated SQLite engine to version 3.3.17
- Improved cookie performance
- Support for site-specific preferences – text size
- A new Quit dialog box that resolves termination errors
- Added permanent ‘Restart Firefox’ button to Add-Ons Manager
- Miscellaneous fixes to download manager including correctly displaying large file sizes
- Various Places fixes
- Miscellaneous Gecko 1.9 bug fixes
Also there are few known issues for all operating systems:
- Clear Private Data does clear stored passwords from the Password Manager list. The workaround is to clear the password list from within Password Manager.
- The Cairo graphics system has drastically changed the way all text and images are rendered from previous versions of Gecko, so occasional misrenderings of non-latin scripts and fonts may occur.
- The Phishing Protection notification bubble is hidden by the content area
Issues for Windows only:
- Upscaling images can result in misrendering, causing the edges of the image to appear blurry.
Issues for Mac OS X:
- The user’s choice of a default font may not always be honored.
- Font decorations such as underline and strikethrough may be drawn incorrectly.
- Complex script (ex: Indic) may be misrendered.
Issues for Unix Systems:
- Loading any page with Chinese, Japanese or Korean text can hang the browser.
- Performance on complex script (ex: Indic) may be slower than previous versions of Gecko.
- Compatibility issues have been reported when users are not running Xorg 7.0 or better.
- Users may experience problems when attempting to print complex pages.
More details can be found here.
Firefox team keeps adding features to their new web browser, as you know it’s called Firefox 3 (codename Gran Paradiso).
This time they announced “web pages content editing” support for Firefox 3, while Internet Explorer and Safari already got this feature, it’s not so advanced like Firefox one (still i ndevelopment). So now you can edit sections which are marked with contentEditable = “true”.
We should will have Firefox 3 Alpha 6 release today and I am pretty excited about that. Alpha 6 will be the last release in “Alpha” series.
After Firefox 3 Alpha 6 release we should wait till the the next month (July) end in order to enjoy Firefox 3 Beta 1.
Waiting for the news…
As Mozilla told us, Firefox 18.104.22.168 will be the last release ever in the Firefox 1.5 series, in order to help Firefox 1.5 users update their browsers into Firefox 2.0 more easily, they have developed an easy update system to do that.
We are rollling major update starting this afternoon (Thu, June 28, afternoon PDT).
What? BlackBerry Browser??? That’s right. BlackBerry Browser is currently in development and it’s planned for BlackBerry Pearl 2 or so.
There should be some really cool features, well… Actually I know only one now which is really exciting, it’s a tabbed browsing.
Here are some screenshots of the BlackBerry Browser.
Althought it’s currently lacks of interface but looks promising. You may also vote in the ZDNet poll: New BlackBerry browser or Opera Mini?
If you are a big fan of Firefox this might be interesting for you. They will be adding new items to Mozilla Store (later in the summer). One of those are brand new design T-Shirts.
Yes, soon we will have a brand new design Firefox T-Shirts in the Mozilla Store.
I must say that they do look much better than those in the right (Firefox logo only) as they don’t concentrate just on the logo anymore (which says not much).
If you own a great Nintendo Wii device and haven’t tried Opera for Wii yet, make sure you try it now for free, as on Sunday it will cost 5 USD (500 Wii points).
You can do so many cool things with it. Watch Youtube videos, play flash games and just surf the net.
Learn more about Wii Opera powered browser here.