WolframAlpha has been getting a lot of buzz recently from all over the internet (no, it’s not a web search engine), so why not post about it here?
If you haven’t heard about it yet, it’s basically a “knowledge engine” with lots of valuable data. For instance: by typing “microsoft apple” you will see its stock price, dividend information, average returns and more:
Earth, Saturn, Sun results Continue Reading
As it’s quite common to tweak/update software icon with every major release (Windows, Adobe Products, Internet Explorer and many more), Mozilla decided to do the same with its upcoming Firefox 3.5 release.
While earlier this month, the following logo version was proposed: Continue Reading
- WordPress users may want to avoid Microsoft’s new Internet Explorer 8
- Look out IE, Firefox, Chrome is getting much better
- Windows 7 gives Firefox 3, IE8 speed boosts, while Firefox 3.5 slows down
- Mozilla marks June for Firefox 3.5 release candidate
- Firefox Mobile (Fennec) Alpha Up for Windows Mobile Testing
- Google’s Chrome was ‘hackable’ at Pwn2Own contest
- Chrome-on-Mac precursor rough but workable
- Opera Employee Blogging Policies
- Your browser talks too much: How surfers can protect private info
- Should Microsoft even bother with Internet Explorer 9?
- Why Firefox Is My Preferred Browser
- 10 handy Firefox about:config hacks
- Mozilla ‘Prism’ Brings Web Apps to Desktop
- Safari, Opera Users Lag Behind in Security Updates
- Are Mobile Web Browsers Even Necessary?
- Mach5 Windows Mobile web browser gives Skyfire some competition
Firefox continues healthy market share growth, this time it increased by 0.43, from 22.05% to 22.48%.
After some hype over Safari 4 Beta, previous month its market share fell by 0.02, from 8.23% to 8.21%.
With more aggressive Chrome promotions all over the web (and soon TV), this browser increased its market share by 0.19, from 1.23% to 1.42%.
Third time in a row, Opera‘s market share keeps falling. This time it fell by 0.02, from 0.70% to 0.68%.
Opera Mini still got 0.07% of the market share.
Yahoo Tech Writes:
Microsoft says EU regulators will hand Google more dominance of the Internet search business if they go ahead with planned regulations on Microsoft’s Windows operating system, the Financial Times reported.
The FT said on Saturday that the move by Microsoft was contained in a confidential last-minute submission to the European Commission aimed at heading off antitrust action. Continue Reading
Moonlight 2.0, a Linux alternative to Microsoft Silverlight has been released. Preview 1 can be downloaded from Go-Mono.com site for both, 32 and 64 bit systems. As for now, you can install it on Firefox only.
Moonlight 2.0 Alpha should be available somewhere in the next month, beta in summer and final release is set to be launched in September, 2009.
According to one of the developers, Moonlight 2.0 also includes some of the Silverlight 3.0 features, you can read more about it here.
Download Moonlight 2.0 Preview 1 (8.9 MB)
Mozilla has started a new project to make Firefox split in several processes at a time: one running the main user interface (chrome), and another or several others running the web content in each tab. Like Chrome or Internet Explorer 8 which have implemented this behavior to some degree, the main benefit would be the increase of stability: a single tab crash would not take down the whole session with it, as well as performance improvements in multiprocessor systems that are progressively becoming the norm.
Firefox, the browser that is going to to reach 25% market share soon, is being used by more than 270 million people, according to Asa Dotzler, Mozilla’s director of community development.
How were the calculations done?
As he explains: “The best method we’ve come up with is to count the number of security “pings” we get in one day. (Firefox pings a Mozilla server for security changes about once per day) and multiply that active daily users number by three to get active monthly users. (See John’s blog post for more on this.)”
Although data is not 100% accurate, is can still give you an insight on Firefox users count.