August, 2012 Desktop Market Share: Google Chrome, Safari – Up; Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera – Down

By | September 3, 2012

As the summer passes by, it’s time to find out, how exactly did your favorite web browser perform in the month of August.

Starting with the Internet Explorer, we resume the long and unsurprising downtrend, down from 53.93% to 53.60% (0.33 point decrease).

After a couple of good months, Firefox too continues its downtrend, down from 20.16% to 20.05% (0.11 point decrease).

Just when you thought that Google’s Chrome growth has stalled, it has since resumed the previous uptrend, up from 18.88% to 19.13% (0.25 point increase).

Following the release of Safari 6, it looks like Apple’s web browser has people intrigued, up from 4.93% to 5.1% (0.17 point increase).

Just like most of the time, Opera’s market share is pretty much flat, this time it has decreased by a 0.01 point, down from 1.59% to 1.58%

That’s all for now, folks.

About (Author Profile)

Vygantas is a former web designer whose projects are used by companies such as AMD, NVIDIA and departed Westood Studios. Being passionate about software, Vygantas began his journalism career back in 2007 when he founded Having said that, he is also an adrenaline junkie who enjoys good books, fitness activities and Forex trading.

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. alberto says:

    How reliable is NetMarketshare?

    StatCounter gives very different numbers, for example. They measure the actual usage of browsers, not just how many people have what installed..

    • kaisellgren says:

      I’ve always wondered this.

      As I understand, NetMarketshare weights their results so that let’s say if 20% of Chinese used the Internet, then the average browser usage for those 20% is used for the rest 80% who do not even visit the Internet. Now, I threw those figures out of my hat, but the point remains. I’m not sure if their approach of weighting statistics is a good thing. Of course I could be wrong about this and if so please correct me.