Category: Opera Software
Earlier this week, Opera Software has revealed their Q4 2009 financial results. Some of the highlights are:
Opera Mobile: 47 new models in 2009, shipments of 4.2 million.
Opera Mini: 172 new models in 2009
Opera Desktop: Users up 37% since 4Q08 (up 11% vs3Q09)
• Revenue up 20% (up 37% on constant currency basis)
• Successful launch of Opera 10 and 10.10
• Users up 125% since 4Q07 to approximately 46 million in December 2009 Continue Reading
- Europeans Get a Taste of the Browser Choice Screen
- Firefox 3.5.8 and 3.0.18 security updates now available
- Firefox for Android coming ‘late this year’
- Setup Reminders in Firefox
- Vote for your favorite Concepts in the Home Tab Design Challenge
- 4 FireFox Addons to Give You Website Statistics at a Glance
- Mozilla admits to add-on malware false alarm
- Google Officially Deadpools Gears For Safari. Puts It On Death Watch For Firefox And IE
- Improve YouTube Video Viewing in Google Chrome
- Google fixes vulnerabilities in Chrome 4 for Windows
- The Opera Widgets Code-to-win Challenge
- MWC: Hands-on video with the Opera Mobile browser for Android
- BBC want your browser ballot views
Thanks to Daniel Hendrycks, mabdul and Nox for links.
- Microsoft builds panic button into Internet Explorer 8
- Give Firefox Opera 10’s Theme
- Mozilla Developer Preview (Gecko 1.9.3a1) available for download
- Mozilla retracts Firefox add-on malware claim
- Rant: Google Translate Toolbar In Chrome 5 Needs An ‘Off’ Button
- Apple Approves ‘Replacement’ Browser for iPhone’s Safari
- Opera beta burns Chrome for top spot
- Opera Mobile 10 Tip: Add More Search Engines to Search Bar
- Adobe apologises for unpatched Flash vulnerability
- Skyfire Acquires kolbysoft To Create Browser For Android Handsets
Thanks to Mabdul for links.
According to Norwegian news page digi.no, due to growing interest in Opera Mini for the iPhone, Apple has called Opera Software to discuss about the possible partnership between these two companies.
Although no more details were revealed, Håkon Wium Lie (Opera’s Chief Technology Officer) feels confident, that Opera Mini will be approved.
When asked about the possible pricing, he said: We have not decided yet. Typically, the way that you download and use Opera for free (*translated*).
As Opera Software prepares to demonstrate Opera Mini for the iPhone at Mobile World Congress, there are some doubts, whether app will be approved or not.
As Stefan Constantinescu flied to Barcelona (that’s where MMC will be held), he noticed few girls in the airport, holding the following signs:
An important milestone has been reached in Opera Software headquarters, as company announced that they have passed 50 million active users mark.
“Our original goal with Opera Mini was to make the Web available to everyone, regardless of their network or mobile phone. Fifty million active monthly users is a great start,” said Lars Boilesen, CEO of Opera Software.
As company has never launched a true open source project before, there will be a learning curve.
Thanks to Daniel Hendrycks for news tip.
Opera Software announced its plans to unveil Opera Mini for iPhone during 2010 Mobile World Congress conference, which will be held from 15th to 18th of February.
Although Apple App terms clearly states, that such applications won’t be approved, Opera Software co-founder Jon von Tetzchner said: “we hope that Apple will not deny their users a choice in Web browsing experience.”
As for today, Opera Mini for iPhone is not publicly available.
Thanks to Daf for news tip.
- FBI’s Most Wanted: Your Browsing Activity
- The iPhone is the new Internet Explorer 6, says mobile developer
- IE8 is now the world’s top browser, says NetApps, as XP falls
- Mozilla to remove legacy Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger code in Firefox
- Fake Firefox Update Pages Push Adware
- Firefox 3.6 tips and tweaks
- Accelerate Firefox 3.6 page scrolling
- Google Translate Integrated In Google Chrome 5
- Google Might Advertise Chrome, Nexus One or Google Apps at Super Bowl
- Finally! “Find in Page” Comes to Mobile Safari
- Huawei to preinstall Opera Mobile 10 on its phones for China
- Bolt Browser gets Updated to Version 1.6 – Brings New Features
Thanks to Demir, mabdul and Sebastian for links.
Now here is something totally fresh. Just few weeks ago, Opera Software Received a new CEO and it looks like he is pushing for something new.
“In our fast-growing industry, mobile advertising represents an interesting long-term revenue opportunity. Every month, nearly 50 million people access the Web using Opera on their mobile phones and together with AdMarvel, we think we can play an important role in the evolution of mobile advertising,” said Lars Boilesen, CEO of Opera Software.
Update: “The agreed acquisition price is approximately USD 8 million in cash. The acquisition structure also envisages up to an additional USD 15 million in cash consideration, paid only if certain aggressive financial targets are met over the next 24 months.”
I am really excited to see the outcome of this acquisition. Do you?