In an effort to help developers build rich web apps, Google has released a plug-in for Internet Explorer.
Here’s what Google says about it:
Start using open web technologies – like the HTML5 canvas tag – right away, even technologies that aren’t yet supported in Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8.
Just a year ago, Google had released the very first build of Chrome web browser which already has ~3.5% market share worldwide.
During the Chrome 3 stable release for PCs, Google Product Management VP Sundar Pichai has confirmed that the Mac version of Chrome should be ready by the end of this year.
Also, Google Chrome Engineering Director Linus Upson said:
“If at the two-year birthday we’re not at least 5 percent (market share), I will be exceptionally disappointed. And if at the three year birthday we’re not at 10 percent, I will be exceptionally disappointed,”
Google and Sony have signed a deal which states that Chrome web browser will be pre-installed on Sony PCs. Unfortunately companies have not revealed any financial or specific model details.
According to IDC research, consumer electronics giant Sony is not in the top 5 PC vendors by worldwide shipping as per Q2 2009.
Calling this partnership experimental, Google is looking forward to sign similar deals with other PC makers as well.
Update: Financial Times reports that Chrome will be per-installed on Sony’s Vaio computer series.
Starting from August 11th, nightly builds of Camino web browser now includes integrated phishing and malware protection.
The following feature is based on Google Safe Browsing service which is being used by Firefox, Chrome and Safari web browsers as well.
As for their competitors, Opera is using Netcraft, PhishTank and Haute Secure services while Internet Explorer has its own SmartScreen Filter.
- 10 Internet Explorer Add-ons in 60 Seconds or Less
- I Want To Love Firefox 3.5, But It Keeps Crashing On Me
- Mozilla shuts Firefox e-store after security breach
- Google reveals plans for Chrome cloud synchronization
- Google Chrome: One Year Later
- Creative Zii Egg’s Plaszma OS gets Opera browser
- HTML5 Canvas Experiment
Thanks to Nox for links.
- Firefox 3.0.12 patches five critical problems
- Tweak Opera for large amount of tabs
- Google’s Chrome OS May Fail Even as It Changes Computing Forever
- Mozilla denies new Firefox bug is security risk
- iPhone 3GS browser speed tests can’t beat Opera Mobile 9.7
- State of the Mobile Web June 2009
- Maxthon Releases Alpha Version of Max-3, Soon to Be the World’s First Automatic Hybrid Browser
- Technology 101: What is NoScript
- FasterWeb Wants To Make The Entire Web Up To Ten Times Faster In 2010